Pasta in a Differently Norma Style
Updated: Aug 18
Today's recipe is "Pasta alla Differently Norma," a variant of the typical Sicilian pasta alla Norma. This pasta includes the use of fried eggplants that blend perfectly with a sauce of fresh tomatoes and Parmigiano Reggiano, creating an intense and flavorful taste. The preparation of the sauce is very simple and involves the use of an immersion blender to obtain a thick and homogeneous cream. The pasta is then seasoned with the eggplant sauce and served hot. It's an easy recipe to prepare but very tasty, and it will surely win over the palates of those who taste it.
Ingredients for 4 people:
- 1 garlic clove
- 300 grams of pasta of choice (for example, spaghetti, penne, or rigatoni)
- 1 ripe eggplant (preferably Sicilian) ;-)
- Half a liter of fresh tomato sauce (even if bottled)
- Oil for frying as needed (for example, sunflower seed oil)
- 40 grams of Parmigiano Reggiano
- Salt and pepper as needed
- A sprig of basil
1. Start the preparation by washing and cutting the eggplant into cubes. Remove the skin only if you wish.
2. In a pan, heat plenty of oil for frying. If you prefer, you can mix sunflower seed oil with olive oil.
3. Add the garlic clove with the skin and sauté it until it becomes golden.
4. Add the eggplant cubes and fry them until they become soft and golden. Make sure to turn them frequently to avoid burning.
5. Once cooked, drain the eggplants from the frying oil and set them aside.
6. In a separate pot, cook the pasta in plenty of salted water following the instructions on the package. Drain the pasta al dente.
7. Meanwhile, prepare the sauce. In a narrow and tall container, pour the tomato sauce, grated Parmigiano Reggiano, salt and pepper to taste, and chopped basil leaves. Mix the ingredients together using an immersion blender until you get a smooth and homogeneous sauce.
8. Add the eggplant cubes to the sauce and blend again for a few seconds, to obtain a smooth and thick cream with an intense orange color.
9. Add the eggplant sauce to the drained pasta, mix well, and serve hot. You can garnish the dish with some fresh basil leaves.
This "Pasta alla Differently Norma" is an excellent variant of the classic pasta alla Norma, typical of Sicilian cuisine. The intense flavor of the fried eggplants blends perfectly with the tomato sauce and Parmigiano Reggiano, creating a tasty and flavorful dish. Enjoy!